Brockenhurst FC footballer suspended after drugs revelation

Jude Nwachukwu in action for Brockenhurst hours after he was spared an immediate prison term

A FOOTBALLER caught with a huge stash of drugs for dealing has been suspended by his club which claimed it did not know about his offending.


Jude Nwachukwu (25) played for Brockenhurst FC last Tuesday night just hours after appearing at Southampton Crown Court where he admitted possessing with intent to supply £12,500 worth of cannabis.

The police found it at his flat after stopping him in his car in Southampton and discovering he was carrying numerous bags of the class B drug. He also had £800 in cash on him and a further £8,500 in a safe box.

The judge imposed a two-year prison but said he had been persuaded to suspend it “by the thinnest of possible whiskers” for the same period after hearing about Nwachukwu’s background.

The club did not respond to a request from the A&T to comment on the case and that evening he played for the Badgers’ first team in the Sydenham’s Football League (Wessex) game against Portland Utd.

However, he was not in the side for the game against Christchurch on Saturday.

Subsequently the club released a statement to the A&T in which it said it was “shocked and bitterly disappointed” by the court case.

Brockenhurst Football Club would like to respond to the article in last week’s local press which reported the conviction of one of our players, Jude Nwachukwu, for offences related to the possession and supply of a class B drug,” it said.

“The club had no prior knowledge of the charges against Jude and we were shocked and bitterly disappointed to receive the news.

“The club takes its responsibility in the pastoral care of our players very seriously and suspended Jude within 24 hours of his conviction.”

The club did not respond to a request to clarify if it was undertaking an investigation.

Meanwhile officials from the league are investigating whether it can impose any sanctions on Nwachukwu, who lives in East Sussex.

League president Dennis Challis said: “The Sydenhams Wessex League are still awaiting communication from the Football Association Discipline Department as to what action it can take, if any, in this matter.”