‘Watch out for deadly virus’, vet practice warns local dog owners

0
1793
Deadly dog virus
Pet owners have been warned to be on their guard against the potential deadly parvovirus

A DEADLY virus has struck down two dogs and caused a Christchurch veterinary practice to sound a warning.

Advertisement

Priory Veterinary Group, based at Purewell, said on Tuesday two local pets had been brought to it recently suffering with diarrhoea and high temperatures caused by parvovirus.

On its Facebook page, the practice said the “best defence” was vaccination, adding: “We are concerned for the local community that parvovirus has been picked up locally.”

It continued: “Parvovirus is spread by contact with infected faeces so try to avoid letting your dog coming into contact with other dog’s poo when out walking, and ensure you pick up all poo and dispose of in designated bins.

“If your puppy or dog shows any signs of sickness, diarrhoea, high temperature, going off their food or lethargy, see your vet sooner rather than later.”

According to veterinary charity the People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) parvovirus attacks the intestines and immune systems of affected puppies and dogs and stops them being able to absorb various nutrients.

The PDSA added: “Your dog’s chance of surviving parvovirus is much higher if you take them to the vet as soon as you notice any symptoms. Most dogs who receive early veterinary treatment will survive parvo but without treatment, your dog is likely to die from parvovirus.

“Sadly, because it’s such a nasty disease, some dogs die from parvo even if they are treated quickly – puppies are particularly at risk.”

Advertisement