“NOW is not the time to relax” – that is the message in a new coronavirus information drive led by Hampshire County Council.
It comes as latest figures released today (Tuesday) reveal there were no Covid-19 deaths reported in the New Forest for the third week in a row.
The Keep Hampshire Safe campaign promotes public health messages to reduce the transmission of Covid-19, and aims to ensure information about local outbreaks reaches communities quickly.
The council has recently produced a local outbreak plan which details how the authority and its partners will respond to further infection and manage the risk.
A new webpage has also been created so residents can keep up to date with at-a-glance infection-rate figures and the latest information and advice.
HCC leader Cllr Keith Mans, who is also chair of the local outbreak engagement board, said since February the authority had been working closely with other councils, as well as the NHS and Public Health England to minimise the spread of the virus.
“Our priority now is to continue to keep Hampshire safe so that we can go on enjoying our new freedoms,” he said.
“The good news is that infection rates across the county are currently low – but coronavirus is still in circulation and continues to pose a threat. So now is not the time to relax.
“As we move forward, we will refine our plans to reflect best practice and the latest government advice so that we can continue to deal effectively with any further outbreaks. Together we can protect one another and keep our county safe. Please continue to play your part.”
To help keep the virus under control and prevent local lockdown, the council is reminding residents to keep two metres apart, wash their hands regularly, and wear face coverings where required.
For more information visit www.hants.gov.uk/coronavirus
The death toll in the New Forest this year remains at 131, according to the regular update from the Office for National Statistics.
The latest weekly figures relate to deaths that occurred up to 31st July but were registered up to 8th August.
Meanwhile, in the BCP Council area, which includes Christchurch, there was one death in hospital, bringing the total to 189.
Separate figures from the government show there have been 465 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the New Forest in total.
That equates to a rate of 258.2 per 100,000 people, compared to a median rate of 408.9 for all English local authorities, and 380.1 in the south-east region.
The total of confirmed cases for the BCP area was 840 confirmed, giving a rate of 212.5.