A MAN arrested on suspicion of murdering a Chinese national at a Brockenhurst takeaway was released with no further action as police announced they were no longer investigating the death.
As reported in the A&T, Xiu Bin Wang (33) died at an address in Brookley Road after police responded to reports of a man in need of medical assistance on the afternoon of Monday 20th August last year.
Officers arrested a 34-year-old man from Bournemouth on suspicion of murder a short time later.
After the suspect had been released on bail a number of times, the force announced on Wednesday that no further action would be taken against him.
A force spokesperson explained the murder enquiry had now ceased following advice from the Crown Prosecution Service which had reviewed the forensic evidence.
A CPS spokesperson said: “The Crown Prosecution Service was asked by Hampshire Police to consider whether any criminal charges could be brought against a 34-year-old man following the death of Xiu Bin Wang, who died at the China Chef restaurant in Brookley Road in Brockenhurst.
“Following a careful review of all the available evidence provided to us by the police we decided that there was insufficient evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Mr Wang had been unlawfully killed.
“Mr Wang died as a result of a head injury but it could not prove how, when and in what circumstances that injury had been caused.
“Therefore we advised the police that no further actions should be taken. This decision was made in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors.”
An inquest which opened last September heard a post-mortem examination established Mr Wang, who had been living at the China Chef restaurant in Brookley Road, died as a result of a head injury.
Speaking to the A&T on Wednesday, an officer at Winchester Coroner’s Court said a full inquest was provisionally scheduled to take place on 12th July.