Last-minute drama as free-kick seals win for Bashley FC

bashley fc hamble club
Harry Morgan scored twice in Bashley’s win (file picture)

Sydenhams Wessex Premier
Hamble Club 2
Bashley 3


BASHLEY FC staged a dramatic comeback in the final five minutes to take all three points at Hamble Club on Saturday.

Hamble led 2-1 at half-time after scoring either side of a Harry Morgan wonder strike. With just five minutes left, Cameron Beard headed in from close range before leading scorer Morgan added his second to snatch the win.

The home side had the best of the early exchanges with Bashley chasing the game. The first yellow came within two minutes for Jamie Webber, who was making his first start for three games.

A threatening Hamble attack saw the home side unleash a barrage of goal-bound efforts, but Harry Gravett and the post were equal to every attempt. However, the Bashley stopper could do little to deny a Jack Nicholas free-kick which flew in off the crossbar on 24 minutes.

Harry McGrath earned himself a yellow three minutes later as the visitors’ frustration grew.

With 35 minutes gone, prolific striker Morgan received the ball before hitting an unstoppable shot from outside of the box. However, the euphoria was short-lived when, on the stroke of half-time, an indecisive clearance was latched onto by Will Gains who restored the lead.

Despite the pre-break setback, Bashley were firmly back in the game. Harry Bunce came off the bench and immediately had the chance to level, but his shot was well saved.

Hamble went close to increasing their lead, but Brandon Chebby’s shot clattered off the post and ricocheted into the grateful arms of Gravett to keep Bashley’s hopes alive.

With five minutes of play remaining, a lovely flick from Bunce released Lewis Ross down the wing. Ross floated in a cross custom-made for Beard who headed in from close range to level the match.

With moments left, Bashley won a free-kick just outside the area. The accomplished Morgan lined it up before beating Hamble’s debutante keeper Kacper Kowalczyk to seal all three points for his side.

The home side’s woes escalated when Luke Mitchell received his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

Bashley: H. Gravett, J. Webber, B. Strickland, L. Farrugia, J. Smith, L. Ross, C. Beard, B. Morris, C. Whiteley, H. Morgan, H. McGrath. Subs: H. Bunce, L. Aimson, D. Thompson, T. Betts.